I love brunch. I know, so #basic of me, but I can’t help it! There is nothing I love more then sitting outside on a porch getting boozie off carafes with my girl friends.
I mean, how does that night sound like a good time?!
Anyways, even at brunch, I order the healthiest thing on the menu. Sure, I’d love to have waffles or biscuits & gravy – but I also know that it’s not worth it to me. Just because I chose to make the more health concusious choice does not mean I am missing out. So the first thing I do at brunch is immediately scan the menu. Then I make my selections accordingly.
- Pick your drink of choice lightly because liquid calories add up fast. I usually try to skip the Mimosas and Belinnis. I know the carafes are cheaper…. but they’re only cheaper because they are filled will artificially sweet orange juice and almost no champagne. So I usually pick to sip on Prosecco (typical glass runs about 84 calories) a glass of Rose or Pinot Griggio. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water!
- Stray away from dessert for breakfast. Everyone loves pancakes and waffles but majority of these meals have enough fat and calories for your whole days worth of food.
- Make eggs your bff. I love eggs, I mean love. They’re also great for hangovers. I usually like to choose egg whites, but remember egg yolks are not bad for you in moderation! For extra protein I’ll ask for one egg with 2 egg whites.
- Choose bread wisely. This goes for everything fried, as well as all sandwiches and wraps. Instead look for multigrain options or sprouted breads. All about those complex carbs!
- Go for Lean Meats. Skip the bacon and sausage and instead choose options like smoked salmon, turkey bacon/sausage, or even chicken if available!
- Substitute your potato sides for fruit. You’ll save about 35 grams of (bad) carbs, and 200 calories.
- Be mindful of the oatmeal // yogurt & granola choices. Most restaurants will have this as a “lighter option” but with all of the loaded on extra amount of sugar, you might as well be getting the pancakes.
- Build Your Own Omelet: When building an omelet, I choose an egg white omelet with lots of veggies, light cheese, and a lean meat from the selection above.
Dishes I’ll never choose: Eggs Benedict; Huevos Rancheros, Chicken and Waffles, Biscuits and Gravy Stuffed French Toast, Hash Browns, Cinnamon Rolls.
Ideal Brunch Option: Whole grain toast topped with mashed avocado & egg whites. With a side of smoked salmon and fruit cup!